Guerilla Advertising in Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Last weekend on the drive back from Santa Cruz, my Dad and I stopped at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. While we were there to get a filling meal on the long drive home, I had to use the restroom. If you have ever been to Five Guys, you will know about all the little pictures from articles and awards that are hanging from the walls. Things such as "voted best burger" and "winner of best place to stop for a burger and fries," decorate the walls all throughout the fast food chain. Here are a few more examples:



While this bombardment of advertising is posted throughout the store, I didn't expect to see the same stuff throughout the bathroom! This unique attempt to "break through the clutter" of all the burger advertising is certainly different than other types of advertising. Even though this form of Guerilla advertising stands out, I think it is just another contribution to the clutter and less of something that is seperate. However, while many advertisements exaggerate the quality of the product, in this case a burger, the meal was truly a near perfect burger experience!

Comments

  1. Wow! In the bathroom? Now that is unexpected. The only place I have ever seen advertise in a bathroom was Back 40, a rib place in the bay area. They had a tv above the urinal that was playing ads for their food at the bottom of the screen and a baseball game up top. Crazy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advertising these days is crazy am I right? The extent businesses go to stand out is insane!

      Delete
  2. I think that the advertising in the bathroom was a good idea because you can't get away from it, but it could just be more clutter if outside the bathroom the same things are getting repeated. The wording shown on the advertising a "Near Perfect Experience" and "The Best $5 Burger a Man Can Eat" make me want to try it to see if it is true. It is also being said by what seems and important source so it makes me want to trust 5 guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why In n Out is better than Five Guys. There are more reasons too, this is just one of them. However, In N Out does have advertising on their lap mats for take out as I recall. But the clutter throughout fast food chains is super annoying and unfortunately I don't think it will stop anytime soon if ever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment